Making the magic happen... sit tight!



Often times wedding couples come up with some crucial questions that can get frustrating and confusing if left unanswered. So, here are the compilation of 20 frequently asked common questions that every wedding couples are looking for. However, it is by no means complete, so feel free to get in touch if you have other questions that you would like to be answered!

Where and when can we get married?

You can get married anywhere in Australia, at any time of the day and any day too. If you want to get married in a public place such as local park or beach, verify with the local council to see if it requires booking and fees to be paid. Also have a plan B in case there is a chance of rain, or heatwave.

What is the Notice Period?

You have to notify at least a month prior to your wedding date and no more than 18 months ahead. Keep enough time in hand before preparing yourself for your notice of intended marriage as you may need to apply for important documents such as birth certificate or government IDs, which can take plenty of time. Under exceptional situations, you may have the opportunity to apply for a shortening of time to allow you to get married more quickly. However, these decisions are taken by a special legal authority and is decided on a case by case basis. However, you should inform your celebrant immediately of you feel that you have a special case, as they will be able to advise you further. You have to book for an appointment to state your case and you may be asked to pay a certain amount of fees too.

How old must we be?

At least one person among the couple has to be 18. If one of you is 16-18 years of age, you would need a legal permission to get married. There is no rule in Australia that allows two people under the age of 18 to get married.

Does Australia have legal same sex marriage?

Yes, From December 9th, 2017, Australian government have implemented the legalisation of same sex marriage.

What documents do I need to show you?

A passport will be enough. However, if you do not have one, you can show your birth certificate and a relevant government approved photo ID such as driver’s license.

What if I’ve been married before?

You will have to present your latest divorce certificate.

What if my documents are not in English?

Then you will need to have them translated into English language. According to the Marriage Act 1961, the document needs to be translated by an official NAATI translator. Your marriage celebrant will be able to arrange that if needed.

I’m not an Australian citizen or resident. Can I still get married here?

Yes, you can. You do not have to be a citizen or a permanent residence holder to get married here in Australia.

We live overseas and want to come to Australia to marry. Is that possible?

Yes, as an experienced marriage celebrant, I have officiated, marriage ceremonies of many couples from overseas, who have come to Australia to just get married. In this case, there will be special arrangements to sign a notice of intended marriage in your home country. I or any other experienced celebrant will help you with complete guidance. You can even arrange pre-wedding meetings online to fix your wedding needs.

Is our marriage legal outside of Australia?

Weddings done in Australia are considered normally in overseas. Only the sad exception can be a same-sex marriage. If your home country or place of visit does not consider same-sex marriage as a legal tie up, your marriage held in Australia may be not be officially recognised as legal in those countries. You should verify with the relevant local authorities to make sure that your marriage is recognised or see if you need to complete additional steps to fulfil the requirements of the local authorities such as Apostille Stamp.

Do I Need Witnesses?

For your marriage ceremony, you have to select two witnesses. They will sign your marriage certificate after the ceremony is completed and should be 18 years of age or above. The witnesses can be your colleagues, friends or family members. Just in case they can’t speak English, you need to make sure that a translator is present during the ceremony. It is not mandatory for them to be Australian citizens and any kind of ID is not needed. In the event that you can’t bring witnesses for the event, I can hire two individuals to get the work done, at an additional cost.

How to Change My Name After We Get Married?

Changing your name is not an automatic process and it is not a mandatory legal requirement of a wedding. To change your name, you will need to obtain an extended Marriage Certificate directly from the Births, Deaths and Marriages Department. You can have peace of mind knowing that I can help you acquire the certificate. Moving ahead, you have to submit a change of name application for your driving license, passport, etc. To get the work done perfectly, you have to get in touch with those organisations, but it is a time-consuming process.

Can You Help Us with Ideas for our Tailor-Made Wedding?

Obviously! This is one of my major responsibilities. My tailor-made marriage ceremony will match your lifestyle, personality and every other aspect that is important for you. Once you book a tailor-made wedding, I will guide you every step of the way in planning the ceremony. Based on your needs, requirements and preferences, I will provide you with a catalogue of ideas, rituals, promises, tips, ceremony styles and readings. So, together when we meet to discuss, we will plan and create the best suited length and structure of your wedding ceremony.

Can we write our own wedding vows?

Completely yes! I always encourage couples who want to write their own wedding vows. That is the focal point of the wedding ceremony when you stand right in front of your friends and family, promising to stand by your partner forever, no matter what. It is obvious that you want to spend the rest of your lives together and so the words you choose should be directly from your heart. You can have peace of mind knowing that I will provide expert advice to help you find the appropriate words to express your love for each other. It needs to be short and crisp, but not an essay. You won’t have to memorise your words as I will give you your vows on a printed card.

How long does the ceremony last?

Kiss Me Quick Bronze and Silver Weddings last for around 10 minutes. For Kiss Me Quick Gold Weddings it is somewhere around 15 to 20 minutes. In case you have booked a tailor-made wedding, it would take approximately 30 minutes to complete the entire ceremony – right from the moment you walk down the aisle to when everyone congratulates you.

After Our Marriage Has Been Registered by Births, Deaths and Marriages – Can You Send Us a Full Marriage Certificate?

Completely yes! You will require this for the name changes procedure. You can rest assured that I will submit an application to the BDM for the full marriage certificate on your behalf. I will also make sure that it is posted to you.

What Kind of Music Should I Choose?

Don’t opt for a genre that you have not explored or heard before. Always choose something that you love to hear. It is always wise to make a playlist of your favourite songs. Go for songs that will make you and your partner feel special.

Will You Provide the Readings for the Wedding Ceremony?

Yes! I always carry printed copies of all readings.

Do We Need a Rehearsal?

Don’t worry! It is not necessary. I will make sure that you are perfectly briefed and well prepared before the special day in your life. You can rest assured that we will have a final recap before the wedding ceremony begins. I will do everything possible to make sure the event goes off without a hitch. However, of you want, you can book a rehearsal session at additional cost.